Thursday, October 13, 2011

Mixed Fall Feelings

It's 11:38 on a Wednesday night.  Things on my mind: Homecoming, boyfriend, Constitutional Law midterm, and how I am absolutely petrified of being on San Jose State's campus.  Ironically, I had planned on blogging about safety at this school and how I am generally fearful of being on this campus when the sun is down. Then, I got a text alert from the SJSU PD saying that there has been yet another sexual assault on this campus. WHAT THE HELL?

In my three and a half years as an SJSU student I have always been fairly careful about my safety.  I don't go out of my way all the time to be as safe as I possibly could but I frequently try to not be on campus by myself at night and if I am, have a man with me to walk me home.  I hate having to rely on a man for safety but at this point I do not really have a choice.  Recently there has been an undeniable spike in the violence and crime in, on and around the San Jose State campus.  There will never be a way to solve all crime but the amount of murders and sexual assaults just this semester is ridiculous. The crux of this issue is that downtown San Jose isn't the safest place to hang as it is, and now I have lost all desire to live here.

This past weekend tragedy hit home in the Greek community.   Kristina, a student and member of Delta Gamma was murdered along with her boyfriend near campus.  Although the details of this investigation are being kept under wrap, it has sent a collective chill up the spine of those students who know that it happened.  The loss of innocent lives is both unjust and terrifying.  I wasn't Kristina's sister or friend, for that matter, but I can empathize with her sisters and family, praying for justice in this awful situation.  SJSU PD and SJPD need to step their games up.  This school becomes more and more unappealing by the day knowing that at any time something horrible could happen; and the police might not be there to defend us.  The truism is that crimes happen all day every day all over the world, but it is certainly uncomfortable living somewhere that has had a mentionable crime spike in recent history.

Crux: a pivotal point.
Truism: an obvious and self evident truth.

1 comment:

  1. Is this the first of the posts to have vocabulary words, or have I been missing them?

    ReplyDelete