Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Female President

It's that time of the year again- I can smell it.  All of the big projects are coming and the big ball of stress which I turn into is rapidly approaching. UGH.  Whenever I am given the liberty to choose a topic of choice for a paper or project, I honestly try to picks something which I know that I will enjoy learning about and researching.  Usually these are related to some women's issue.  I love learning about women's history and will use any project as an excuse to learn more.  For 100W I have chosen to do my final portfolio on women in the military; I really don't know anything about this subject but figured that I would enjoy reading more about it.  In my opinion, one of the ultimate goals of the women's liberation which has progressed over the last century is a female president.

Sarah Palin used to be my role model; yes, you really did just read that and I did say it.  I was 17 when she and McCain took on Obama and she was everything that I admired in a candidate.  She was strong in her beliefs, willing to take a chance and never backed down from a fight.  Her words were often jumbled for the sake of a joke and her entire reputation was defamed once the public knew about her pregnant teenage daughter.  I followed her closely  throughout the election and never understood what problem the public had with her. At the time she was not only an incredible political candidate but also an amazing woman.  Just like my mother, Sarah was publicly able to do everything at once.  She was raising a family whilst running to have one of the most important political positions in the government.  Today, I have lost a lot of my respect for Sarah Palin.  After losing the campaign, McCain went into hiding while Sarah took it upon herself to become a TV star.  As an openly republican women, people often ask me what I think of Palin, expecting me to put her on a theoretical pedestal. Her TLC "reality" show made me lose all respect for her.  It was vapid and stupid, making women politicians look like a joke, something which I did not appreciate with the 2012 campaign around the corner.

In the wake of the Palin era, the next female presidential hopeful was on the minds of many.  Republican    house representative Michelle Bachmann stepped up to plate announcing her candidacy for the position of the United States President.  Bachmann was amazing to me in the beginning- hot headed but still politically correct and conservative, I was listening when she had something to say.  I knew from the beginning that I would have to do my research in order to support Bachmann.  At this point I think that she is too far right for me.  Her blatant Tea Party views contradict mine and with her tactics, she doesn't have the appeal to win the votes of mass America.  I was erroneous in thinking that Bachmann would become president.  She has dug herself a hole and it is too late to get out.

My hope is that in the next few elections there will be a female candidate who I can proudly support and not worry about the next wacky thing to come out of her mouth.

Defamed- to attack the good name or reputation of.
erroneous-  mistaken

No comments:

Post a Comment